Thursday, May 1, 2008

Retro Beer

First the parks go retro, and now the beer:

To commemorate the 40th season of triple-A baseball in Des Moines, the Iowa Cubs and Court Avenue Brewing Company have teamed up this season to offer a retro ballpark ale. Iowa Oaks Ale is being pitched as "a toast to the franchise's original name in 1969."

The new brew, a "German export-style beer that is light in body and color," will start selling Tuesday, May 6, at both Court Avenue and during I-Cubs games at Principal Park - at the Bottom of the Fifth Bar in the main concourse behind home plate.

"Many of our fans enjoy a cold beverage while watching baseball on a warm summer's night," Sam Bernabe, I-Cubs president and general manager, said in a statement. "We've been good friends and neighbors with the folks at Court Avenue Brewing Company for a long time. They're great baseball fans, and they brew a great beer."
Pfft. Call me when they bring back the Ballantine Blast!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When I was younger, my grandfather gave me a Balllantine Ale picture of the 1949 - 1954 NYY depicting their 5 consecutive World Series championships. Whenever anyone mentions Ballantine - I think of collecting baseball cards with my grandfather (1986 Topps set rules!)

It's here:
http://sports.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=45111&Lot_No=12198&src=pr#PHOTO