Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Going Green

Eco-bragging about Nationals Park:

The DC Sports and Entertainment Commission (DCSEC) has offset 70 percent of the electricity use at Nationals Park, home of Major League Baseball’s (MLB) Washington Nationals, with its purchase of 14,600,706 kWh of renewable energy credits (RECs), from Boulder, Colo.-based Renewable Choice Energy, helping the ballpark to achieve silver-level Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification.

“The DC Sports and Entertainment Commission’s commitment to building a green ballpark is a great example of how organizations can help drive our nation’s renewable energy infrastructure,” said Quayle Hodek, CEO of Renewable Choice Energy. “We’re proud to play a role in Major League Baseball’s first LEED-certified building.”
I suppose I'm supposed to be impressed with this, but really, how hard is it to conserve electricity in an abandoned building?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

To your point, I wonder how the Nats would stand if you figured their energy cost per fan vs the rest of MLB. If they cut their energy use by 70%, but they're only putting 15% of the average attendance in their seats, then they've got a higher than average per capita cost.

Ironic Goat said...

A of all, boooo to that joke.

B of all, the one thing that drives me crazy about the park is the number of times I walk by a recyling bin before I get to a trash can. Several times I have barely been able to stop myself from throwing away my five guys bag in an aluminum receptacle.

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate their effort to keep electricity costs down. I can now afford to keep my pool heated all summer.

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm missing something, but how impressed can one be if they got their certification by buying energy credits from someone else?

I mean, OK, I get the way the system works and that buying credits means that somebody is saving energy, but still...