Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Challenge Trade!

Rosenthal writes:

Reds left fielder Adam Dunn hit his 30th home run on Monday night, tying the Phillies' Ryan Howard for the major-league lead. His .941 OPS ranks ninth in the NL. And his defense, by most measures, has improved.

Nobody wants him?
If I'm Theo, I call up Jocketty right now and offer a straight-up Manny for Dunner deal. Manny is pro-rata $20M for the rest of the year with club options the Reds can decline. Dunn is $13M pro-rata, with a $500K buyout. If the money is an issue for the Reds, I'm sure Boston would throw a little their way to get the deal done. Dunn would have to approve -- he can list ten clubs to which he would accept a trade -- but I would sincerely hope he would approve a deal to the Red Sox for the chance at a ring, even if his long term future is with the Rangers or something.

I guess the biggest question would be what's in it for the Reds -- they'd probably want to dump Dunn's salary entirely rather than replace it, even for just the rest of the year -- but let's not practicalities get in the way of what would be an amazingly cool trade.

Don't think it's cool? Picture Dunn playing the Monster. Oh, yeah, I told you it was cool.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm on board. The only problem I see is the corner outfield combo of JD drew and adam dunn. I'm fine with both of them, but I can only imagine the boston media response to two quiet, "passive" guys who tend to take a third strike from time to time. Say what you will about manny, but he sure does keep the media occupied, which deflects a lot of attention from the rest of the team.

Fred Trigger said...

I'm inclined to agree. The boston media is so focused on Dunns low batting average and strikeouts, but ignore his walks and homeruns. It probably wouldnt be a great fit, at least media wise. I for one would love to see Dunn playing regularly for boston and launching moonshots at Fenway.

tadthebad said...

I'm not sure the rest of the players on the Red Sox see it that way...I think, finally, the players are starting to be annoyed with Manny and all the questions that come from his presence or absence. Manny has never been a clubhouse cancer, but he is coming awfully close to that now. I concur, Shyster. Make that deal, Theo.

Craig Calcaterra said...

One would argue (hey! I'm one!) that the wisdom of the Red Sox' moves over history is inversely related to the popularity of those moves in the media.

tadthebad said...

And the Boston media isn't all that educated when it comes individual stats that contribute to winning ball games. They do, however, consider themselves just as important to the Boston Red Sox experience as the actual team. Not that I'm bitter...

Unknown said...

"The boston media is so focused on Dunns low batting average and strikeouts, but ignore his walks and homeruns."

So, you're saying he'd feel right at home. For years, the Cincinnati media has been criticizing him for the same things.

nightfly said...

Hush, I'm still hoping the Mets can steal Dunn and not settle for Raul Ibanez.

Anonymous said...

I like it as a Sox fan. Plus, the Sox have six games left in Toronto this year, plenty of opportunities for Adam and JP to renew acquaintances!

Anonymous said...

Unless I am mistaken, Manny's options kick in -- at $20M a piece -- if he's traded. That's what all the fuss is about, and that's why there's no way he's going to a mid-market team like the Reds.

Mark said...

I don't believe Manny's '09 and '10 options vest if he's traded. As far as I know, he gets a $1 million bonus if he's traded, and that's it. (Thanks, Cot!)

The Dodgers seem to want Manny bad; in a division as dreadful as the NL West, he could make the difference for a team, especially one as hurting for offense as the Dodgers.

So let's go, Theo! Make that 2-way work! Manny to the Dodgers, (mumble) to the Reds, Dunn to the Sox! How hard could it possibly be?