Thursday, July 31, 2008

Kevin Costner on Working With Kids

This is kinda baseball. In an interview with Kevin Costner -- which, by the way, includes his memories of announcing the lineups for the 1999 All-Star Game in Fenway -- he talks about working with some new child actor in some new movie he has coming out about which I don't care because it doesn't have to do with baseball:

A big part of the film is Bud’s relationship with his daughter, played by newcomer Madeline Carroll. Costner has worked with quite a few young actors. “I don’t talk down to kids,” says Costner. “I deal with them. Whether I’m dealing with them empathetically or whether I’m having to hit one in the face in ‘3,000 Miles to Graceland.’ ”
This reminded me of one of my favorite bits of "Bull Durham" trivia, which involves one of my favorite scenes in the movie. From IMDb's trivia page:

In the scene where the batboy tells Crash Davis "Get a hit, Crash", Kevin Costner ad-libbed the response of "Shut up." Since the kid actor playing the batboy obviously didn't know this response was coming, he started crying.
But thank goodness he didn't talk down to him.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

For some time now I've been coming out of Kevin Costner movies very confused.

As in, "How does Costner keep getting work?"

I loved Bull Durham. I tolerated Field of Dreams. For Love of the Game was...just...awful.

Ironic Goat said...

I liked for love of the game. Sure, it had alot of sappy parts but it was fun. I also loved Mr. 3000. They say I have terrible taste.

Anonymous said...

@ironic goat:

This is clearly some new and different definition of "fun," of which I was previously unaware.

I felt bad for John C. Reilly, but I felt worse for myself. I really kept hoping it would get interesting, but it just...didn't...happen.

Ironic Goat said...

The Yankees fan at the airport, Vin Scully's perfectly over the top announcing. Costner's conversation with himself on the mound. Those sorts of things. Not a great movie, but alot of it was fun.

Daniel said...

Really, I need to know. Am I the only baseball fan who thinks Bull Durham is a terrible movie? I can't watch it. I hated Susan Sarandon and thought she was in way too much of the movie.

On the other hand, I love Field of Dreams and think For Love of the Game is decent. I suppose I'm out on a limb here.

Craig Calcaterra said...

I have it exactly the opposite. I can't stand Field of Dreams, love Bull Durham. I don't do sentimental very well.

Ironic Goat said...

The burning books whole censorships thing was a very trite, very cliche seen in field of dreams.