Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Schilling's Deal

Curt "the Sieve" Schilling describes his new one-year contract with the Red Sox. Upshot: he admits he left some money on the table, but in the end, it was all about wanting to stay in Boston, and Boston wanting him back. He admits that one of the incentives in the deal involve his weight. He also reveals that he gets $1M if he receives a single Cy Young vote.

This, I should point out, is as good an argument as any as to why bloggers don't get to vote in these things. Because if I had a vote I'd immediately email Schilling, offering to vote for him in exchange for, say, $100,000. If pressed, I'd defend myself by talking about how he's the heart and soul of the rotation or something. There have been way sillier votes in the past.

UPDATE: I'm not the only one who had this idea.

In any event, I've said it before, but while Schilling can be a bit of a blowhard at times -- note his gratuitous shout-out for the Sox to sign Lowell at the end of his post, thereby making Theo's job that much harder -- the blowhard tendency is far outweighed by his candor and the opportunity he provides all of us to see a process that is not usually seen. Someday dozens of players will have blogs like this, and we will have forgotten how unique Schilling's is today.

No comments: