Friday, November 30, 2007

Mets Trade Lastings Milledge to the Nats

For catcher Brian Schneider and outfielder Ryan Church, according to several sources.

Look, Milledge is not as good as a lot of Mets fans think he is, but this trade makes zero sense. Ryan Church is basically a fourth outfielder, albeit a pretty good one. Brian Schneider is about as replaceable a commodity as you can get. While I'm sure they're bummed that Milledge wasn't getting the kind of trade market love the Mets expected, keeping him would have cost the Mets nothing. Trading him now is the ultimate sell-low move.

On the bright side, Mets fans now have a second atrocity to list after the Kazmir trade, and as everyone knows, good rhetoric demands multiple examples.

UPDATE: Welcome Rob Neyerites! As a pathological lawyer I can't pass up the chance to mount a rebuttal case, so to read my response to Rob's thoughts on the Milledge trade, go here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm flat out stunned. Maybe Milledge's value is that low, but why not give a 22 year old a CHANCE to show his value rather than pawning him off on some has-beens and never-wases. I don't get it, and I'm not a Mets fan.