Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Damn it's hard to be a taxpayer

I'm glad I'm not the only person wondering why in the heck the Yankees think they get to sell stuff that belongs to the taxpayers of New York and pocket the money for themselves:
A day after the Yanks played the last game in the House That Ruth Built, items from the storied ballpark were for sale - prompting fears that the taxpayers who own the place were getting stiffed again.

"Whatever value is in the old stadium ought to be retained for the taxpayer," said Assemblyman Richard Brodsky, whose committee is investigating taxpayer support of the new stadium.

Early this month, the Westchester Democrat asked the city agency in charge of selling off the old stadium what the Yankees were entitled to sell, because the city owns the Stadium.

He has yet to get a reply.

I love that we live in an age where poor people are demonized for needing charity but investment banks and billion dollar professional sports franchises are allowed to feed at the public trough without question, scrutiny, or complaint.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I love that we live in an age where poor people are demonized for needing charity but investment banks and billion dollar professional sports franchises are allowed to feed at the public trough without question, scrutiny, or complaint."

Well, whaddaya know, "baseball" has given you yet another opportunity to undermine our great nation. Our soldiers fought and died to protect the glory of American capitalism, and don't you forget it, pinko!!!

(I love a good preemptive strike!)

Anonymous said...

you should youtube some joran maxwell, craig

Craig Calcaterra said...

Don't think this is easy for me Saramerica. I often wake up in the morning and wonder why I hate America. I have no answers yet.

Mark S said...

Craig -

There goes your chance for running for office as somehow, someway the
comment "I often wake up in the morning and wonder why I hate America. I have no answers yet." will come back to haunt you. Sorry to squash your political aspiration - the White House could benefit from having someone in it that truly knows and loves baseball.

Eric Toms said...

Hasn't the Yankees cozy ( I'm being polite ) relationship with the NYC government been well documented? Rich Levin, Giuliani...