Friday, March 21, 2008

Where Did I Put the Guest Towels?

Brett Boone is coming to my town!
The Nationals reassigned second baseman Bret Boone to Minor League camp on Thursday evening, and he will accept the assignment to Triple-A Columbus. . .

. . . "It's not fair to me to have 37 at-bats and judge myself on that," Boone said. "This makes it a lot easier for me, because the guys who [manager Manny Acta] knows for sure are going to play need to get ready for the season. That's important to me. There are so many people right now, and I need to play every day and it makes sense for everybody."

I haven't been this excited to go to Cooper Stadium since Hideki Irabu's last rehab stint back in 1999!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suspect the plan all along for the contract the Nationals gave Boone has been to get him into managing. He'll be a veteran leader to work with the young players in AAA for awhile... it basically has more to do with starting a coaching career than pursuing a further major league playing career, I think. The Nats (or somebody else) will probably have him managing their A-ball team next year.

Craig Calcaterra said...

That's a pretty good theory, Justin. Watching that dynamic is probably enough to get me to go to a lot more Clippers' games this summer.

Anonymous said...

fyi, it looks like he just retired, or that's what's being reported on the nationals journal blog on the washington post.