Monday, March 31, 2008

Rob Neyer to Die Today

Well, probably anyway:
On Monday, we have a special chat in honor of Major League Baseball's Opening Day. ESPN.com MLB Insider, Rob Neyer, will be chatting during every pitch of every game.

That's right. Neyer will start with the first pitches of the day in the Royals-Tigers game and Blue Jays-Yankees game, which both start at 1:05 p.m. ET, and continue through the last game of the day, Angels vs. Twins, which begins at 8:10 p.m. ET. But that's not all. Neyer will keep chatting through the midnight ET edition of Baseball Tonight.

If Neyer is able to complete his mission, he will have chatted for close to 12 hours, which would break the current SportsNation individual chat record of 7 hours, 4 minutes, held by Bill Simmons.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

God bless ya Rob, I can't wait to see the quality decline in questions as the hours tick away, but I'll be there with ya for a majority of it!

Anonymous said...

When I get my big gig with ESPN, I am so doing a 72 hour chat marathon. Self-flagellation, I know, but... well, because I can.

Jason @ IIATMS said...

I'd sign up for a 3 year chat if ESPN would hire me. Or at least a 3 season chat.

Although, I'd get a little sick of the "you don't give [insert team here] any respect" drivel...

Anonymous said...

Who wrote that at ESPN? The last game of the day is Astros-Padres at 10:05 Eastern. If he can't make it through that, I say he's a wimp!!

PatHajovsky

Anonymous said...

Update: He broke Simmons record about 30 mins ago, and he's still going strong. Pretty good questions being asked, I've been in and out for about 6 hours or so, must say I love these things. Too bad the Yanks-Jays game was rained out

Anonymous said...

wow Rob actually answered a few of my questions... I'm honored! Well one was more of a comment but still! I'm part of ESPN chat history! I'll stop using exclamation points now

Unknown said...

He answered one of mine too... I knew if I mentioned his book he'd post it. Worked like a charm ;) He finished up at 12 hours 1 minute, after the last pitch of the last game. Not too bad for an old guy.