Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I Can Name That Tune In Five Notes

Emma Span at Bronx Banter raises a good time-killer of a question:
You know you’ve thought about it: if you were a baseball player, what would your at-bat song be?
My inner Gob Bluth suggests that Europe's "The Final Countdown" would be an excellent choice, but I've probably had a dozen others in mind over the years.

The comment thread following Span's post is loaded with gems. Emma herself suggests the Stones' "Rocks Off" at comment 3, and frankly I can't think of a better one. Whoever chose that would immediately become my favorite player. *

Update: It was early when I wrote this, and for some reason I mixed up "Rocks Off" -- still a great song -- with "Rip This Joint," which is an even better one. Anyway, walking up to home plate with anything from Exile on Main St. would be a good idea.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Easy Answer:

50 Cent- I Get Money

Anonymous said...

The opening bit from Alternative Ulster.

Chester Voltaire said...

Gotta go with "Damaged I" by Black Flag on the principle that any at-bat song worth its salt should, first and foremost, scare children.

Jason @ IIATMS said...

Pretty much anything by Disturbed.

"Beautiful People" by Marilyn Manson (I love the drums)

"Mama said knock you out" by LL Cool J

"Crazy Train" Ozzy

Anonymous said...

In this fantasy world, who could choose just one song? For junkball pitchers, my song would be "Won't Get Fooled Again". (Actually, I kind of like that for all my ABs, but I'm in fantasy land here so hang with me.)

For fastball pitchers, I like the beginning to the Sheryl Crow song "Real Gone" from the "Cars" CD Soundtrack. It would get me jacked up.

For pitchers losing their edge (like Woody Williams currently, or like last season's David Wells incarnation), I'd like "Sh-boom" by The Chords. Also known as "Life Could Be a Dream", but I'd want the Sh-boom part played because I'm taking that guy deep!

Pat Hajovsky