Monday, March 31, 2008

Juan Gone

Well, not gone, but on the bench:
Andre Ethier won the Dodgers' starting left-field job from veteran Juan Pierre and will start Opening Day vs. the Giants on Monday, Los Angeles manager Joe Torre announced Sunday.

"I just feel I want to start that way and see," said Torre. "He had an outstanding spring. Sometimes you don't make enough of Spring Training, sometimes you make too much of it. I'm curious. I want to see more. He's had a number of home runs, he's hit off left-handers and right-handers."
I love Torre's "well, I am totally surprised I had to bench Pierre, I'm still needing to check this out, wow, who would have thunk it?" tone. Well Joe:
Pierre had a disastrous spring offensively, hitting .169 with six stolen bases in 24 games. Ethier, 25, hit .365 with six homers and 16 RBIs. Right fielder Matt Kemp, 25, hit .307 with a team-high 18 RBIs.
I'm not all that sure you need to see more.

No comments: