Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Gold Gloves

Greg Maddux wins his 18th Gold Glove. It will go nicely with that gold watch he's gonna get pretty soon.

The other NL winners were Yadier Molina, Adrian Gonzalez, Brandon Phillips, David Wright, Jimmy Rollins, Carlos Beltran, Nate McLouth, and Shane Victorino.

I am the last person you want to talk to about defense because I only know a bit more about it than I do astrophysics, but I'll note that Phillips, Rollins, Beltran, and Molina all won the Bill James Fielding Bible Awards as well, so that gives these Gold Gloves some indicia of legitimacy. James has ALers at every other position except first base, where he has Albert Pujols winning. Pujols gets boned all of the time though, so we're used to that.

The AL winners will be announced tomorrow. They'll probably give the pitching one to Maddux too.

3 comments:

Eric Toms said...

Are fielding metrics legit? I honestly don't know, but I also know not to underestimate the stat heads, they are a smart lot.

Jason, do you agree that Jeter is THE WORST fielding everyday SS in MLB? You watch a lot of Yanks....

EricInBoston said...

couldn't they have written the article so it's easy to pick out the winners.

i was scanning trying to find names and got dizzy.

Anonymous said...

Nate McLouth rated in the Fielding Bible plus/minus as...

wait for it...

-40.

That's by far the worst figure in baseball by any outfielder. It may be the worst figure in baseball by anyone at any position; I'm not sure.

I mean... I don't even know what to say.