Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Padres Fans Are Not Happy

The Hoffman thing has many people in San Diego very, very angry:

I am a huge baseball fan. One who has scored every pitch for the last 14 years of games I have attended. One who makes the yearly pilgrimage to Spring Training in Yuma and Peoria. On Monday, I was duped into meeting the deadline to renew our season tickets. This leaves me to suspect the timing of Hoffman's contract withdrawal. If there are any of us left, I feel the fans should demand a new front office – they are sucking the only ray of excitement we experienced last year. What a betrayal of our loyalty!
I don't know the dynamics behind season ticket renewals, but it appears that November 10th was the relocation deadline for current season ticket holders, so I'm assuming that's what the letter writer means. I also don't know if that effectively serves as a meaningful renewal deadline overall. I will say, however, that if the Padres handling of Hoffman and the dilly-dallying with the Peavy trade was calculated to rope in as many season ticket sales as possible before pulling the plug on those guys, it redefines the term bush league.

3 comments:

tHeMARksMiTh said...

Can I put myself out there who's a Braves fan not happy with the Padres. Now they want Flowers instead of Hernandez. Would you just make up your mind already?!?

Jason @ IIATMS said...

DePodesta has his explanation up on his site: http://itmightbedangerous.blogspot.com/2008/11/giles-and-hoffman.html

tHeMARksMiTh said...

Maybe the dilly-dallying is nearing its end.

http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270335/11665079