Thursday, October 2, 2008

Quality vs. Quantity

That's the big question for every blogger, really. Should I do one or two huge substantive posts or seven quick hits? Should I run top 10 lists or embed viral video in order to drive traffic, or should I set myself up as some Wise Voice who only speaks when there is something worth being said? In an ideal world I'd put up ten thickly substantive posts a day, but that obviously doesn't happen. In reality, I go back and forth on that kind of stuff depending upon how busy I am and what the news dictates.

Forgive the meta-moment, but here's some insight into those issues from the blogger's point of view.

And yes, it's a Slate article. Yeah, I slagged on them yesterday, but I was probably being a bit overbroad. There's a lot of content over there. Some is good. Some isn't. It's just like anyplace else.


Jay said...

Don't have time to click through to the artcile, but as someone who reads via RSS reader, I'd rather have one or two substantive posts per day. If I was checking for updates manually, I'd probably like more, shorter posts. There are a lot of volume posters (TBL, Deadspin, With Leather) but I enjoy the less frequent, more thoughtful ones best (FJM, Shyster, JoePo). During a busy day at work (i.e. today), I hate looking up and seeing 65 unread posts. At that point, the "thoughtful" ones take precedence.

tHeMARksMiTh said...

I guess it depends. It's always a good thing to have a variety (the spice of life). It's nice to have something short and funny to read, but other times, I want to hear what the person has to say about something. Sometimes snark hits right at the point without further explanation. Other times it's only a vague condemnation of something but lacks substance to support it. I agree that it's hard to push either. Sometimes, I try to write something substantive, if only to prove to myself that I'm not some hack job making comments without any evidence. Other times, I either don't have the time or energy, or I just happen to think of the right comment to make my point (this is hard and unusual for me). In the end, I guess it just depends on who you are and how you look at baseball. If you're into analyzing baseball on stats and strategy, I don't want a smart-ass comment to be the end of it. If you're just commenting on something someone said or did related to baseball, smart-ass comments work well. After that long, rambling passage, I'll just say that I like variety.