Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Vasgersian to the MLB Network

I've seen stories all day saying that Matt Vasgersian is leaving San Diego, but this is the first story I've seen that says where's he's going:

Matt Vasgersian, who has been Channel 4 San Diego's television voice of the Padres for the past seven years, will head to New York City to become the lead anchor on the new MLB Network.
If what has been said previously is true, MLB Network is going to be running a six hour highlights/updates show each night starting next season, so whoever anchors it had better be palatable. I've seen/listened to Vasgersian exactly one time, when I watched a Padres-Blue Jays game from a San Diego hotel room a year ago, but (a) he seemed like a good announcer; and (b) has received nothing but kind words from San Diego fans on the various message boards I've seen today.

Sounds like a good hire.

Psst! Matt: Feel free to forward on my fabulous programming suggestions!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vasgersian is a fantastic announcer and an even better talk radio guest. Once about six months ago he was on with the local guys talking about a recent Vegas trip and it quickly devolved into him talking about being drunker than Ted Leitner (San Diego State Aztecs play-by-play man)

Anonymous said...

Vasgersian is a fantastic announcer and an even better talk radio guest. Once about six months ago he was on with the local guys talking about a recent Vegas trip and it quickly devolved into him talking about being drunker than Ted Leitner (San Diego State Aztecs play-by-play man)

Alex Brissette said...

Vasgersian also did great work in the MLB07 The Show video game.

Shyster, what do you think about John Sciambi? I'm assuming you've heard him call Braves games for the past few years. I think he's good -- insightful, good level of enthusiasm -- but not really tied down to the Braves. You should add him to your list of suggestions (read: demands) for the new network.

Unknown said...

I obviously can't speak for CC, but I really like Boog Sciambi. He's clearly a smart guy, and he's one of the few play-by-play guys (team specific or otherwise) who I've heard analyze the game from a more sabermetric standpoint. And, while he's no Jon Miller or Vin Scully, his voice is more than passable.

tHeMARksMiTh said...

I'm a big fan of Vasgersian. I watched some Padres games on MLB.TV and they tapped into his broadcast. He seems well-respected, and I liked his broadcasts. Can we work on ESPN for Joe Morgan?

dan said...

I'm a huge fan of Vasgersian. Given, I'm also a Padres fan, but I've heard him plenty. He's kind of a homer on the Padres telecast, but who isn't a homer on the local team's telecast. Besides, it's not like that will translate over to his MLB Network job. As far as his play-by-play, though, I think he's great. Always energetic, informative, funny, and accurate.

CRC said...

he was commentating the falcons/raiders game on sunday, and he along with his partner were collectively terrible. other than that i like the guy

Bob Timmermann said...

I've discovered that I'm in a minority here because I've always found Vasgersian awful.

He just reminds me of a smug USC frat boy. Which he is. I don't want everything compared to a line from "Animal House."

Anonymous said...

Vasgersian was the announcer during the "Rick Sutcliffe's drunk" game, so he has that going for him. Also, as a youth, he was in the Robert Redford movie "The Candidate".

He also was the Brewers announcer when they really, really sucked, so he told the audience stuff like when he was a kid he was in the Robert Redford movie...

He's pretty much a smartass, but refreshingly more smart than ass. He'll grow up to be Olbermann.