Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Alou on Bartman

Moises Alou has a confession to make:
Alou, now with the Mets, said he wouldn't have caught the now-infamous pop foul in the 2003 National League Championship Series that hit the heel of Bartman's hand in the eighth inning of Game 6, prolonging an inning in which the Marlins later rallied for the lead . . . "Everywhere I play, even now, people still yell, 'Bartman! Bartman!' I feel really bad for the kid," Alou told Associated Press columnist Jim Litke. "You know what the funny thing is?" he added a moment later. "I wouldn't have caught it, anyway."
Pardon my French, but fuck you, Alou. The whole reason L'affaire Bartman became such a big deal was because Alou jumped up and down and screamed after the play and complained about it in the press conference after the game.

For over four years Bartman has been the butt of jokes and/or the object of scorn for a whole city -- to the point where the guy has had to go essentially hide out -- and only now Alou speaks up about it?

Call me crazy, but I have this feeling Alou's comments aren't going to make Bartman feel any better about all of this.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Alou's memory...she's-a not so good.

Not only did Alou jump up and down and yell and scream at the kid, but a quick re-watch of the video makes it clear Alou could have made the play.

WOULD he have made the play? Well, nobody really knows that. But it was clearly doable.

What's the point of making this remark now?

Alex Brissette said...

Bartman can probably take some comfort in this: at least he doesn't piss on his own hands.

Anonymous said...

Didn't Bartman get harassed and fired from his job because of it? Or have to move out of the city or something? Could he (successfully)take legal action against Alou over this?

Ron Rollins said...

Great. Just what the country needs. More frivolous lawsuits.

But if we're going to allow that, can I sue Chris Chambliss for hitting a HR in the bottom of the 9th in game 5 of the ALCS in 1976. Thereby depriving my Kansas City Royals a chance at the World Series and breaking the heart of a 12-year old.

Want to represent me, Shyster?

Craig Calcaterra said...

Actually, I recall seeing an article last fall and (I think) it said that he still had the same job, no big deal. I think he also still lives in Niles, IL. Other than ridicule -- which isn't actionable -- I'm not sure anything else has happened.

64: You can sue Chambliss. I can't handle it though, because I'm currently preparing my lawsuit against Jim Leyrtiz for his home run in the 1996 World Series.

Ron Rollins said...

Can we just start a class-action against the Yankees?

Anonymous said...

Dude, I second your french! One of your best commentaries yet.