Friday, April 25, 2008

Every Box Score Tells A Story

Who needs the Extra Innings package? From the play-by-play/box score of the currently in-progress Braves-Mets game:
Bottom of the 3rd
D Wright walked, M Anderson scored, R Casanova to third, L Castillo to second 1-1
C Beltran walked, R Casanova scored, L Castillo to third, D Wright to second 1-2
R Church walked, L Castillo scored, D Wright to third, C Beltran to second 1-3

Game Notes: HOME-PLATE UMPIRE TIM MCCLELLAND EJECTED ATLANTA MANAGER BOBBY COX IN THE BOTTOM OF THE THIRD INNING FOR ARGUING BALLS AND STRIKES.
I have no idea why I'm laughing so hard at that, but I know I probably wouldn't be if I were actually watching the game.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Mets got two hits in the game. They scored three runs on walks. The pitches to David Wright were strikes, at least one to Beltran was. I think Jair threw 50 pitches in the inning and 50 pitches in the rest of the game. The strike zone was a joke throughout.

Alex Brissette said...

Will the league ever eliminate the home plate umpire as a judge of balls and strikes? The technology is there... They won't, but I really wish they would.

Craig Calcaterra said...

I'm cool with imperfection. I think I'd miss umps and their variable strike zones. Indeed, one of the joys I experience each time I watch a game is trying to figure out in the first inning or two what kind of zone we're getting that night. Further joys come from watching the pitchers make adjustments to that night's zone. Watch the wily vet slowly try to stretch it with pitches straying bit by bit from that which was established early on. Watch the the young starter, not yet versed in the ways of the majors, keep trying to pound it in where HE thinks it should be a strike until someone gives in.

Fair? Nah. Ideal? Probably not. But I enjoy it all the same.