Thursday, August 14, 2008

Retroblogging

The L.A. Times' Larry Harnisch has been blogging 1958 recently. Covering the crime beat for the most part, yesterday he talked about an article dealing with Dodger prospects of the day in the face of a disappointing 1958 campaign.

A handful of team-specific bloggers have blogged their team's last championship season on a day-by-day basis, and I've always thought it was a cool. A lot of work to be sure -- there simply aren't a ton of free and easily accessible online resources for older news -- but quite rewarding. I think it would be neat for a general blogger to try and blog a whole season this way. For example, If I had the time I'd take the 1941 season and pretend that I had no clue about what DiMaggio and Williams were going to do that year. I'd pre-arm myself with microfilm copies of the major papers of the day and run an "And That Happened" each day just like I do now. I think it would be pretty fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I could write up commentary for the last Cubs championship season in the style of the times:

--- -. -.-. . / .- --. .- .. -. / - .... . / -.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. --- / -.-. ..- -... ... / .- .-. . / - .... . / -.. --- -- .. -. .- -. - / -... .- ... . -... .- .-.. .-.. / - . .- -- / .. -. / - .... . / -. .- - .. --- -. .-.-.-