Monday, August 11, 2008

Kedar Hunter

I wish more reporters would do quick, off-the-wall interviews with ballplayers like this one Tyler Kepner did with Torii Hunter. Partially because they don't leave any room for "we just have to play the games one at a time, and the good Lord willing, things will work out" answers, but mostly because you can learn stuff like this:
YOUR NAME IS SPELLED T-O-R-I-I. IS THERE ANY REASON FOR THAT?

I think it’s just my mom trying to be different. But I was Kedar Hunter all the way up until my senior year in high school. I had a guy come up to me and say, “Your name is Torii Kedar Hunter: Go by your first name, or nobody will notice you’re African-American.” So I kind of changed my name. I got drafted, and in the paper back home, it was all about Torii Hunter. And they were like, “Who’s Torii Hunter?” I was like, “That’s me — Kedar!”
Important? Nah, but kind of interesting, and I'll think about it the next time I watch Hunter play.

5 comments:

Eric Toms said...

Isn't this a widespread practice in the African American community? The creation of new names, or at least new spellings of names? Didn't Freakenomics ( which I haven't read ) look at the data around this? Not saying it's bad or wrong just that Torii's mom is part of a much bigger trend.

Anonymous said...

For years I thought Chone Figgins' name rhymed with scone until I heard an announcer call him Sean. Sean, Shwawn, Chone, who woulda thunk it?

Eric Toms said...

chadillac, me too re. Chone. I was trying to think of other examples when I commented but I'm brain dead today.

Anonymous said...

Ironically, the word "scone" is pronounced in Scotland to rhyme with "gone" instead of "bone".

Regardless, I cannot read "Chone Figgins" and not rhyme it with "Joan".

Levi Stahl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.