Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Five Hole

Carlos Lee doesn't like batting fifth:
Lee prefers to hit fourth, and he's expressed as much to his manager. That said, Lee has no intentions to make this an issue in the clubhouse. He'll do what he's asked, even if it means hitting fifth.

"I'm trying to do what's best for the team," Lee said. "I don't like it, but you've got to do it. I work here. You're paid to go out there and do your job, regardless of what position you hit in the lineup. My job is to get RBIs, drive guys in. You've got to do it even if I'm hitting seventh or eighth."

This kind of story comes out every spring, and I never really understand it. Is this an ego thing about being the big bad cleanup hitter? Sometimes it is, but Lee doesn't say so. A stats thing? Maybe, but there's not a whole hell of a lot of difference between four and five, is there? Superstition? Given the lack of any other reason for Lee's feelings on the subject that's as good a guess as any.

1 comment:

Ron Rollins said...

Maybe it's just another media-drivin issue. Like every spring when two players are battling for a job, or a veteran loses his, and says "if you're not going to play, trade me".

This always comes across as the player being demanding and whining, when it might be just a simple request.

Maybe its as simple as the example of "Hey, I like strawberry jam on my toast, but all you have is grape, I'm fine with that".

It doesn't make sense for Lee to be having a hissy fit about not batting fourth and then turn around and see he'll do whatever the team asks of him. Compared to Phil Nevin telling his team were he would and wouldn't play, this seems pretty tame. Maybe Lee was just expressing an opinion, and the media, with nothing else to do and no other story is trying to make more of it than it really is.